Characters That Feel Like Family/Friends

Sometimes characters feel so real .....all you can think is what it would be like if you could just meet them; join their club/family/universe....or perhaps you are an uber-nerd like me and your best friends are all fictional....either way, this is my list of places/characters/people I feel like I know and wish I could just sit at their table for dinner.

https://anchor.fm/alchemyofgenres/episodes/Characters-that-feel-like-familyfriends-eh495g
The above is the podcast of this list, show some support and listen (love to hear feedback!)

These two series' are related but not the same; there is one character Corey/Kori (a bi-gender person) who meets Ty (the kid) in college but lives in Arizona with the Drag Queen from At First Sight series.  
Bear (real name Derrick) has been raising his baby brother Ty (called the Kid a lot) ever since their mom took off when he was almost 18 and Ty was 5.  It's been 3 years since that happened with this book; and this book talks about the support he has had, the changes he is going through as he figures out himself and that he is gay and in love with the big brother of his best friend.  The second book in the series goes further with them building their family; the third book jumps ahead to Ty in college and on a break from school (lots of back and forthing from present to past); and his life/love/issues and the fourth book brings it all around; filling in past gaps, and showing present possibilities.  This family is strong and secure and Bear and Otter are so caring and loving to everyone.  I just want to be part of their family.




At First Sight series has Paul and Vince meeting and falling in love with Tell Me It's Real....I talked about that one in books that make me LOL; but to recap Paul is an exceptional person but not classically good looking (no 6 pack abs, no glamorous job, etc) so when a beautiful guy starts to pursue him he keeps thinking it's a joke ......which is where the title comes from.  Paul's family and friends are so supportive, and in the following books: The Queen & the Homo Jock King, Until You and Why We Fight. We see more relationships form and get to know even more about their extended family and history.  I wish I had their support network, their friendship and just the fun they have despite all the issues life throws their way.  TJ Klune writes characters that feel real, but sadly, if they are....they are nowhere near me.



I have talked endlessly about Valdemar, and honestly since Lackey writes in trilogies, I don't have just one friend, I have multitudes; but the one thing that is a huge thing...I would (if I could) definitely have a companion (the white horse godlike creature) or a bondbird (the Hawkbrothers bond with their birds, and live in magical forests with other magical creatures).   The main thing they have in common is a telepathic connection......just seems really helpful as someone who is alone a lot to have a real connection that is constant and forever....sigh

But the circumstances, issues, families, background....all that?  I don't mind any of it; really......just want to live there and make friends with some of them....and have magic...yeah.



This book is technically a teen book, and not one of Paulsen's most famous ones; but the characters here really connected with me on a variety of levels.  Tony is 12; his mother is a dancer (ok yeah a stripper but almost like a burlesque rather than naked & in your face kind); and he hangs out there backstage so he doesn't stay home alone.  Tony draws some pictures and a teacher decides he is being abused (or at the very least corrupted) by his lifestyle and reports him to social services....at which point Tony's mom Al goes to war with the school and the Social Services people.  On the one hand, yeah...I get it, people being careful, but there ARE a lot of judgements made by people on what is allowed and acceptable; so I was rooting for Al & Tony all the way.  I think it is exceptional that Paulsen was able to build such a strong bond in such a short novel....just goes to show what a great writer he is.




I realize that really, I would be anyone in this world too, but if I HAD to pick one, it would be Menolly from Dragonsinger & Dragonsong.  She dreams of doing what she wants to do, regardless of what her society says is acceptable; and she finds a way to make it happen.  She also ends up with a bunch of fire lizards, (mini-dragons)...and yeah, I would love those for pets/friends as well.  This series started me in Pern, but also is just a great character study, and because it's McCafferty's only YA series it gets missed a lot....but it is really good, and who I wish I could be friends with, and maybe play with the little dragons.....seriously, so cool!













Drizzt Do'Urden is kind of a legendary character at this point.  Salvatore has been writing his stories for 30 years.  He was introduced in Icewind Dale trilogy (Crystal Shard is #1), and his background fully explored in Dark Elf trilogy (Home is #1); but he definitely didn't stay a background character for more than a minute.  Drizzt is a complex character who feels real because you see him making mistakes, you see his family & companions grow and you see the attitudes of those around him adjust (or not); and you see the issues he has when he leaves town because judgements regarding his character are made based solely on his appearance and what everyone knows is true of  Drow (Dark Elves).  I know all about him, like he's my best friend...wish he was.  If you enjoy adventure & fantasy, you need to explore Salvatore's books.


I have to have something from Lord of the Rings, and for characters I find exceptional and wish I could meet for real; Samwise Gamgee wins every time.  He is just a guy, who loves his friend and does his best.  He has a good heart and a smile for everyone.  I would love to have some hobbit friends, go hang out, eat and party a bit.  





Daine, from the Immortals books, Wild Magic being the first, is a character I have always adored.  She suffers the devastating loss of her family but because she can talk to the animals, she is never alone.... and as she learns more about her magic and reaches out to those around her, she finds a new family and human friends of exceptional quality.  Yeah.....I don't care if this is technically a YA book, she is an exceptional character and this whole series from Pierce has a lot of very cool characters in it.  I love Daine's depth and loyalty, her strongwill and heart......and of course, animal communication is awesome.







Felton is one of those characters I always wanted to adopt or just be an adult in his life to talk to.  He is struggling with suddenly being what he always hated and feared....a jock....as well as trying not to lose his friends and figure out his whole life as it goes in a way he never anticipated.  Herbach does an excellent job creating this very earnest and conflicted character as well as a host of supporting characters that feel genuine.  I cried, and really wanted to adopt Felton....still do.









The Sleeping Dragon first in an OLD series, Guardians of the Flame.  Basically, I want to BE one of the characters or hang with them, and it's a tossup between the supersmart nerd who finds his true magic and the jack of all trades who basically defines this series with his morality and dedication to doing what he feels is right.  The premise of the books is that some college kids are playing D&D when the DM does something magical and sends them into the game universe for real.  They have a quest to complete in order to go home, but then are not sure they WANT to go home.....since this is where they always wanted to be; but then again, the reality of this fantasy universe isn't all beauty & sweetness either.  I love the story, the premise and the characters Rosenberg built.  I may have to reread these.



I have definitely talked about this series before, but really wish I could hang with Alex & Micah in New Orleans....their stories are unique and interesting and Kasey does a great job of showing all the pieces of their character a bit at a time.  Yeah, the ghosts and creepy stuff would be hard, but with friends like these, at least I'd have support and people to believe me when I talked about the creepy stuff.








I have talked about the Kate Daniels universe so much....but still, I don't think I would be IN her family, but even if I could be in the universe, I would be happy.  Ilona Andrews builds such a believable place and full characters that I feel like I could walk in and just belong....well, if I could get some magic anyway.....












Weis and Hickman wrote this series over 20 years ago, but since it's based in a D&D universe, it holds up well.  I fell in love with the characters, especially the half-elf; and just wanted to be a part of the journey, or be waiting for the tales of the adventure when they got home.  This, as many long series do, has a variety of trilogies, highlighting each adventure, or a particular character arc, and though it's old, you can still find it around if you look for it.
Basic premise is a classic "stop the bad guy, save the world" thing; but the way it plays out, the interaction of the character and the choices they make.....really good.











This is another old series, but still good; and one that I feel like I know really well because it literally builds up a family from start to when it ends; you see Rod Gallowglass, flying to this backwards planet, donning a disguise and putting his ship brain into a metal horse, and off on his mission to introduce democracy into lost lost colonies, as well as ascertaining how messed up the colonies are since they lost all contact with Earth.  This planet has a Royal/feudal system of government, but what is weird is the whole magic thing.....it seems to work.  Then he realizes it's not really magic it's psychic abilities, and it is very strong on this planet.....telepaths could be exactly what a democratic planetary alliance needs to keep communication current in spite of distance..if only he can figure out how to convince them that witches are good.  This series introduces Rod to his lady love, then in subsequent books, their children and all the attempts (in a timey-wimey way) to subvert Gramarye from agents of various kinds intent on destroying this valuable planet.  Yeah, time to reread this too.





This is an old comic series that only ended recently, but has a long history.  I fell in love with the art work and the different view of what elves could be; and honestly I just wanna be a wolf rider.  I can't explain it much except to say humans are very primitive and afraid of all elves; there are many kinds of elves; and when the wolf riders lose their home they go on a quest to find others of their kind.











I have always had a soft spot for Wolverine, the tough guy with a heart of gold, and I was an obsessive reader for a bit, now I just pop in occasionally.  I don't hate the movies, but they don't do justice to the character....










Nightcrawler is another outsider, who gets a lot of guff for looking like a demon, but I always found him sweet and charming.  I don't think he gets credit, he didn't mainstream well, but I always liked reading out him as he overcame so many obstacles and tried to be a good person.













Nightwing is another outsider, though he had to grow on me as he went through a bit of a whiny teenage period.  I have enjoyed watching him grow from tragic beginnings and figure out how to be himself while remaining true to his ideals and his mentor.  I think this character gets lost due to teen titans cartoony silliness, but the comics are heavier and allow for a better knowledge of his character overall.






The Loose Ends Series (consisting of this book and Xeni) introduced me to not only the main characters of Sloane and Xeni, but also to their whole family and friends support system.  I love that Weatherspoon always has this great support network among all of her characters, so really, I would live in almost any universe she created; but these two were my first introduction to her and her characters so I'll go with it.  I just want to be a part of a supportive sisterhood that strong.  











I have always said any door to a fairy kingdom is fine by me; even though I have read the stories and know they don't always end well....I could at least hope and have magical things in the meanwhile.  One of my favorite stories in this genre is Enchanted.  This is the first of a trilogy, and it plays with fairy tale ideas and I just want to be one of the 7 sisters (Mon-Sun are their names).  Sunday is the star of this story, as she accidentally transforms her best friend (a frog) with a kiss back into his princely self; and the crazy love story mashup that happens from there.




Speaking of fairy tales, this is all of them living in hiding in NY, either Manhattan or upstate (depending on how well they can pass).  Willingham does a fabulous job of playing with well known stories, and I would love to hang out in their world awhile.















I wish I could be a Ranger's Apprentice, though I strongly suspect I am too clumsy and loud to be a spy.....but this series follows Will from age 11 to adulthood, and I felt like we were friends, so maybe I could just have a pint with him and hear about his adventures, show his kids some good books....something.
If you are unfamiliar with these, first, go read now; and secondly, it's essentially a boy learning to be a master spy in a medieval setting of a fantasy world, and killing it because he is amazing.  It's YA series, so read it with your favorite teens, or just because it's good.









Alex Rider is another long series that follows a young boy, this time as an actual spy for MI6 (British CIA); and you see him go through so much that well, I just wanted to climb through and offer him a safe space to rest, someone he could trust....basically my mom instincts went crazy and I want to adopt him.  Really good action adventure series; and I would have no problem dropping in.








This is one of the few single books that grabbed me so hard, and I really wish the series (because it felt like it should be a series) was continued.....Nickel has a long history of abuse and other issues so he ran away from foster care and now is the go to "fixer" if you need something.  He is asked to find a missing girl, which drags him into a mess of criminal activities that he has to figure out on his own.  Nickel is another character I wanted to mother and help, hug and bake some cookies.....this is hard to find since no one but me read it; but if you want something different and deep and a mystery that has dark parts....this is really good.






As I said in my podcast, there are other series I am obsessed with but don't think I am cool enough to actually visit, so some of those you may be wondering about (because I talk about them all the time); that is why they aren't here.....I love them, adore them, but can't feel like family or a friend because I know I'm not cool enough to be a part of their crowd.....so sending love to Anita Blake, Sandman Universe, Merry Gentry, In Death series, and a few more.   


Have a good day, read books and share the blog and the podcast.....support your local library!






























Comments

Popular Posts